Day at the Office

Day at the Office
All Terrain Vehicle
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. - Phillppians 3:14

Friday, December 12, 2008

Dallas Marathon Packet Pickup

In 2 days the Dallas Whiterock Marathon will be run. That was the race last year that caused me to re lace up the running shoes and to make it happen. Even though I really don't care for road racing and much prefer the trail race, I feel indebted to the Dallas Marathon for the motivation nudge this past year.

So today I picked up the race packet. It included the personalized bib, a long sleeve cotton shirt and and a short sleeve tech shirt.

This is not my first marathon. So after running a 50K, some pretty tough trail races and a decent amount of trail runs over 30 miles, why is it that the marathon still intimidates me a bit. Seriously, I have run 30K trail races that made the marathon look like a walk in the park. I am in the best shape of my life. I feel good...and yet I feel unprepared....why???! I don't know. It may be that for so long in my life, the marathon distance was heralded as the be all/end all distance to conquer. That last statement just made the marathon a mental thing didn't it. Back to my hypothesis that running is mental.... isn't it!

3 comments:

Jeff said...

The thing with marathons is the clock. On trails, it's easy to talk about the climbs and rough terrain, on the road you get caught up in pacing and personal records.

Derek said...

I agree, there is something about a marathon and the timing issue. People want to know your time in a marathon, but in an ultra most people are amazed that you ran that far and think your crazy!!

Good luck tomorrow!

Marcy said...

I think Derek is on to something. I have no idea what is considered a "good time" in terms of ultra racing. But the marathon? That's a different story ;-)

I hope you killed it!! ;D

RUN ON -SEMPER FIDELIS

RUN ON -SEMPER FIDELIS