Day at the Office

Day at the Office
All Terrain Vehicle
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. - Phillppians 3:14

Monday, September 6, 2010

CANCER

It was my junior year in High School and I had just came home that February afternoon from baseball practice. My brother had already made it home and my mom was waiting for me to give me the news.

My dad had gone in for test earlier that day and the results were far from what any of us expected. Dad had Cancer…bad enough that they would operate the next day. How??? Cancer always happens to somebody else…but not us!!!

The next day was the first step of a very long journey….removing 18” of his colon and chemo would soon follow. That was 22 years ago. My dad is still with us…getting to see both my brother and I get married, getting to see his grand kids grow up and still making me laugh with his crazy sense of humor.

Wednesday, I go in for the same test that he did over 20 years ago. It’s precautionary…nothing wrong except I got his genes…so we do what we have to do.

I have more people than I care to mention that are touched by cancer…far too many…so I ask of a couple of things....women get tested for breast cancer, men make sure the prostate is all good…if you have a family history….be proactive…and if you have some discretionary income, give some for a LIVESTRONG event…here is a good place (make sure you donate to Scott Blacburn's fund to help with his efforts)…my bud Scott and his wife Robin will be riding a bicycle from South Carolina to Austin for LIVESTRONG!

Till next time....PRESS ON and LIVESTRONG!

4 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

It good to hear that your father mase it through it. Hopefully one day soon a cure will be found

Olga said...

My father-in-law passed away from colon cancer. My sister is a colon cancer survivor. Here is to her and your dad.

Dave said...

Your title scared me a little as the word has hit close to home for us recently! We have good friends in Tampa that have a 2 year old son who has been battling for over a year. I only share because they can use all of the prayers they can get as they truly need a miracle.
http://thematthewsstory.com/

Rick Gaston said...

Same, know many people touched by the big C. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the way I go. Good lesson on the post though, get tested, catch it early.

RUN ON -SEMPER FIDELIS

RUN ON -SEMPER FIDELIS