Day at the Office

Day at the Office
All Terrain Vehicle
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. - Phillppians 3:14

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm Your Huckleberry

Tombstone is one of my favorite movies. If you haven’t seen it, shame on you! For all you ladies out there, it has some romance. For you guys, it’s a freaking western so what is there not to like?! The film covers the shootout at the OK Corral between the Earps and the Clanton Clan. Wyatt Earp is played my Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer plays Doc Holiday.

Val Kilmer is brilliant and “makes” the film with wise cracks and a “devil may care” attitude. At on point he utters the enigmatic phrase, “I’m your Huckleberry,” to opposing villain and gunfighter, Johnny Ringo.

A little research shows that the documented phrase, “I’m your Huckleberry,” through the latter parts of the 19th century is used to indicate that “I’m just the man you’re looking for.” I utter that phrase from time to time and for those, that haven’t seen the movie, look at me like I am stone cold insane…which may not be too far from the truth.

So with all that, I have a friend who made me a running shirt with that famous Tombstone quote on it embellished with two six shooters. A big shout out to David Tallant and his shop for the shirt. Now that begs the question, “If I have the intestinal fortitude to wear it to an Ultra marathon race?” Are you kidding?…Let me be clear…I am not a front of the pack runner….more like the middle of pack…and sometimes, I slip to the back of the pack…so for me to wear this to a race…it would have to be comic relief, which is my style anyway. Showing up with a shirt with two big guns and a quote indicating that I’m the guy...yep, that’s funny….should I wear it to a race?

So in honor of wearing a shirt with two guns…I want to give a shout out to Missy, who has done so much swimming that her arms now have visible muscles. ..Even to the point that she walks around the house flexing her biceps and asking her husband if he has bought his tickets to the “gun show.” This weekend she has a little 5K race….an open water swimming race!!! Good grace to her...heck, she swam 20K last week!!!!!

And below is a montage found on YOUTUBE from Tombstone for your viewing pleasure…”You’re a daisy if you do,” (apologies for questionable language.)



5 comments:

Missy said...

OHHHH, DAVE ... that's so nice. Thanks so much for the wishes and the shout out. He did get his tickets to the gun show! Yep, still flexing, still laughing.

YOU TOTALLY need to wear that shirt. Hells yes. I would. I'm showing up at swim registration with floaties on my arms just to see what happens.

Jeff said...

I haven't seen that movie in a long time...but you're right, it's good!

...and LOVE the shirt!

Rick Gaston said...

You do not have that shirt! It's time to bring that bad boy out. I already see you wearing it at Dmitry's 100-miler.

Mark C. Smith, "The Naked Runner" said...

Dave,
If anyone out there is questioning you wearing that shirt...........then they've never heard your accent! Damn, and I thought I had an accent! ha Peace!
Mark

Brenda said...

Where the shirt - it's a winner! What a funny story!

RUN ON -SEMPER FIDELIS

RUN ON -SEMPER FIDELIS