Day at the Office

Day at the Office
All Terrain Vehicle
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. - Phillppians 3:14

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Palo Duro 50 Mile Ultra

Well, here we go. I have to admit that the hardest thing about running a 50 mile ultra 6 weeks later than originally planned is getting my head back in the game. That took about 4 days. Even though I seemed to be going through the motions, I continued to push hard through spin class and speed workouts on the track. Here we are on Thursday the week after The North Face Endurance Challenge has been cancelled, I am a now ripping and rearing to go.

Now, allow me to digress for a moment and talk about the Renegade 50 Race. There were about 20 or so runners that had made the pilgrimage to complete TNF Endurance Challenge. When the announcement was made that the race has been cancelled, these fearless few decide they would stay the course and run the race renegade. These guys ran the race in Tropical Storm Hanna. I have to admit that I wish I was there with them braving the elements and running the 50. It is interesting to note that there was a large contingent of military guys running, both former and active. As a marine and a runner I commend them on their perseverance. It should be noted that their family and friends served as volunteers and they pulled together to set up two aid stations. I cannot be more proud of these yahoos. The adventures were documented here at Renegade.

That brings to my next 50 miler to be run in Palo Duro Canyon. The following pictures are from previous races.






I had a friend comment to me, "That since I was such an avid Texan, it is only fitting that I run my first 50 mile race in Texas." I agree. What is cool about this race is that my parents are going to make it and support me during the race. Also my 7 year old son, Luke, will be crewing for me and wants to train to pace me the last few miles. Makes his daddy proud!

So here's the deal. I am rejuvenated. Friday evening about 9:30 PM I will take off for a 4 to 5 hour run. Got to get it in before Ike rears is head. Can't wait to run like an animal.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Bummer about the race :-( Wow and totally insane (but in a cool way) that peeps actually still rocked it out anyway.

Thanks for stoppin by ;-)

RUN ON -SEMPER FIDELIS

RUN ON -SEMPER FIDELIS